Cloning your HDD to an SSD.

Forum rules
Please don't bother posting Off Topic Advertising Content, because it will simply be deleted, and your user account will be turned into a Guest Account. We don't mind you linking to your business in your signature, as long as you are providing useful On Topic content with your signature, and as long as your business is legal in the United States.

Re: Cloning your HDD to an SSD.

Postby The Powers That Be » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:12 pm

BTW, if you are going to put everything onto a single 256GB SSD and not have a Data Drive, then I would recommend even more that you spend the extra and get one of the Samsung 850 Pros. Those things are new technology, a noticeable advancement. I think that they are the first SSDs where the manufacturer actually believes that the SSD will outlast or outlive a Hard Disk Drive.

SSDs are a form of Flash Memory, which means that each memory cell can only be rewritten to a certain number of times, and then it dies. When all the cells die in an SSD, then that's the end of it.

The Samsung 850 Pros are rated longer and warrantied longer than any other SSD, and the stress testing on them seems to be indicating that they are actually lasting longer than expected in actual use. These might in fact be the first SSDs out there with the potential of lasting as long or longer than a Hard Drive with the same kind of daily use.

Yes, there are cheaper SSDs out there, even from Samsung, but as far as I know, the Samsung 850 Pros are the first ones where the manufacturer believes that they can stand up to normal daily use as well as a hard drive or even better.

Link to the 256GB Samsung 850 Pro:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-256GB-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7KE256BW/dp/B00LF10KNA/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=allthicom03-20&linkId=7BX3DL6UVVGYV3EP

I held off on getting an SSD for a very long time, because I was waiting for the technology to mature or reach the Next Generation, and I believe that it has with the Samsung 850 Pro. Furthermore, if you purchase through the link above, All Things Computer will get a piece of the action, because the link above contains our affiliate code.
To complete the Registration Process email the Administrator at "1allthingscomputer at gmail dot com". In your email signify your willingness to follow the Forum Rules at http://allthings.computer/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3.
The Powers That Be
Site Admin

Postby Natter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks for your your thoughtful reply. The way you put it, it sounds like there is no downside to waiting to turn on Bitlocker after the cloned SSD is known to be working.
Natter
A Friend of the Boss

Postby The Powers That Be » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:19 pm

Natter wrote:Thanks for your your thoughtful reply. The way you put it, it sounds like there is no downside to waiting to turn on Bitlocker after the cloned SSD is known to be working.

Glad to be of help.
To complete the Registration Process email the Administrator at "1allthingscomputer at gmail dot com". In your email signify your willingness to follow the Forum Rules at http://allthings.computer/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3.
The Powers That Be
Site Admin

Postby The Powers That Be » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:48 pm

I cloned another one of these today with a friend. It was a great deal of fun talking with my friend, and I believe the project was a great success as well.

My friend purchased a 256GB Samsung Pro SSD, one of the Silverstone adapter kits, and a SATA cable. I met him at his office, and we put it into his machine.

I estimated that it would take two to three hours to do. It took four. There's always a surprise with each machine, it seems. In this case, we spent a bit of time figuring out how to get the hard-drive cage out of the machine so that we could put the new SSD into the machine.

The other minor surprise came from the fact that we cloned the complete partition structure of the HDD to the SSD using Macrium Reflect. So, when it came time to do the overprovisioning, there wasn't enough room on the D (Factory Image) partition for the overprovisioning. We backed up the D partition to an external hard drive using SyncBack Free to verify the copy; and then, we deleted the D partition and extended the C partition to take up the space. After doing that, and letting the Samsung Magician restructure everything or get used to the changes, then we were able to do the overprovisioning just fine.

It's always pleasing how fast these things boot and how fast the programs load after moving the HDD to an SDD. It was a business machine, so we had only used up half of the 256GB by the time we were done. Not bad! We just left the old HDD in the cage and unplugged it when we were done. It's there serving as a backup, but no longer racking up usage hours.

It's always fun to do one of these with a friend.

If you need help cloning your HDD to an SSD and you live in the Salt Lake City valley or Utah valley, you can email me or PM me, and we can work out the terms. I would be glad to help. I have done this quite a few times now, and it has produced pleasing results every time.
The Powers That Be
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Discuss How to Backup or Clone Your Hard Drive