No TV for two years

Please Post It Here

No TV for two years

Postby Certifiable » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:22 am

I am celebrating two years of being free from my television addiction.

I used to watch the free local TV all evening long. You waste all of that time, and then you have nothing to show for it when you are done. Most of it is designed to agitate the soul, and half of it is filthy, perverted, and degrading. I'm a lot calmer now than I used to be. My dreams are more pleasant and uplifting.

The barrage of nightly news with all of its tragedy sucks the joy right out of life. Very little of it is designed to uplift, edify, and inspire. Instead, the ugly and depraved is paraded before us on a nightly basis. It vampires the hope and the respect for humanity right out of your life.

It has been decades since I last subscribed to a newspaper for the very same reasons. In order to sell, the stuff has to be salacious, sensational, depraved, conflicting, stimulating, addictive, or controversial. Nobody will sit and read good news all evening long. Where's the fun in that?

I really haven't missed it, except on days like today. Today is voting day. Because I have seen no nightly news, no television, and no newspaper, I have no idea who is running for office, what they claim to stand for, or if any of them would be any good. There is no reason for me to vote, because I have absolutely no information upon which to base an opinion. From what I can see, that's been the only negative consequence from disengaging with television and newspapers. Other than that, my life has been infinitely better as a result.
Certifiable

Return to Anything Virtuous, Lovely, Of Good Report, or Praiseworthy