TNG Was Recommended by a Friend

TNG Was Recommended by a Friend

Postby The Powers That Be » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:12 pm

TNG: The Next Generation of Genealogy Site-building

http://www.tngsitebuilding.com/

I haven't tried this myself, so I don't know how well it works; but, a friend of mine highly recommends it.

http://celestialforum.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2

I hope that when this forum is found by the public that some future member of the forum will have used TNG and can tell us more about it, how to install it, and how it works.
To complete the Registration Process email the Administrator at "1allthingscomputer at gmail dot com". In your email signify your willingness to follow the Forum Rules at http://allthings.computer/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3.
The Powers That Be
Site Admin

Re: TNG Was Recommended by a Friend

Postby Darrin Lythgoe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm the developer of TNG. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Darrin Lythgoe

Postby The Powers That Be » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:35 pm

I have a couple of questions.

I noticed from your website that TNG appears to be a server-based platform for doing genealogy. Is it correct that a user of TNG needs a personal Web Page or Home Page in order to access and run TNG? Is it also correct that a user of TNG needs a host that supports TNG?

Do you have a client-side version of TNG that can be installed on a client version of Windows 7 or Windows 8, regular Windows? Or do you have a client version in the works? It seems to me that if you had a Server of your own or lease Server space from a Data Center, then you could sell a Windows compatible client version to us; and then we would use that to connect to your Server and do our Genealogy on your Server (you would be our host) without the need of getting a website and a host for ourselves.

I definitely see the benefit of doing all of this on a Server; but, as I see it, you could provide the server and be the host, and then sell client versions of TNG that would give individual users access to your Genealogy Server.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Currently BlueHost is my host for this forum and for my Home Page. Do you know if BlueHost currently supports (or has a free copy) of TNG? I believe BlueHost is based in Utah, and I know that the Latter-day Saints are big on genealogy, so you might want to check with BlueHost and see if they will license and sponsor TNG as one of their 'free apps' that they have available for their customers to use. If TNG were on BlueHost, then supposedly I could be using it tomorrow, seeing how it works.
To complete the Registration Process email the Administrator at "1allthingscomputer at gmail dot com". In your email signify your willingness to follow the Forum Rules at http://allthings.computer/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3.
The Powers That Be
Site Admin

Postby Darrin Lythgoe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:07 pm

TNG is web-based software (there is no native Windows version), so you'll need to run it on a web server. It also requires PHP and MySQL. Typically that means you'll need a hosting provider, but you could run it locally if you set up a web environment on your home computer. If you want to try that, I recommend you download a free package called Wampserver (or MAMP for Mac users). Once you've got that installed, you can run TNG without a hosting provider and without being connected to the Internet. Of course if you're not online, then you're missing some of the benefits of a TNG site, which include the ability to share and network with others that might be working on the same lines as you.
Darrin Lythgoe

Postby Certified » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:10 am

I have been studying Web Development. The book I have been reading recommends WAMP, MAMP, and LAMP as your offline web development environment. These are Windows, Mac, and Linux respectively. Of course, these simulate servers and set up access to PHP, MySQL, Javascript, CSS, Apache, and everything else you might need to develop dynamic web pages offline. My next step is to actually try it and see how it goes. I have too many things going on all at once, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one should be the priority. But, when I get my machines the way I want them, and it's all working, I want to try to experiment with WAMP and WordPress and try to see what I can do with them. I need to buy some new hard disks first and drop them into a newer machine.
I'm Certified.

If you go around looking to be offended all the time, then you will end up being offended all the time.
Certified
Site Admin

Postby The Powers That Be » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:15 am

On their list of recommended hosts, WordPress recommends BlueHost at the top. I'm currently with Blue Host. Their one-click install of everything is wonderful. Obviously, they have the most recent versions of PHP and MySQL.

The thing I haven't been able to discover yet is if they have a 'free' courtesy version of TNG out there on their CPanel that I can use. With their Regular or Premium package, they give you around a hundred free Web related programs that you can install onto your part of the server and go from there. I installed Weebly, or accessed the free version of that one. My next goal is to install WordPress and learn how to use that one.

I have yet to see if Darrin worked out any kind of deal with BlueHost so that those who subscribe to BlueHost as their host get a free copy of TNG as part of the service. I read on Darrin's web page someplace that he had worked out such a deal with some of the hosts out there, but I can't remember which ones they were.
The Powers That Be
Site Admin

Return to TNG: The Next Generation of Genealogy